Submission is now closed! Applications are being reviewed.
The Fellowship Program is a new initiative of the Basic Science Committee of The Transplantation Society
Intense Research Activities are yielding an exponential increase in our knowledge in the Basic Science of Transplantation. This exchange fellowship recognizes the extraordinary progress that is currently occurring and also the importance of disseminating this new knowledge as well as new research tools and techniques. The goal of this Research Award is to facilitate sabbatical opportunities for established researchers in the basic science of transplantation, so that they can travel from their home institution to another laboratory for a limited period of 3, 6 or 12 months to develop new collaborations and/or acquire new techniques/assays. International exchanges are preferred and sabbatical opportunities within the same city are NOT eligible.
- Applicant must be conducting and have a record in basic science/laboratory research in transplantation in a non-for-profit academic institution. Applicant must be at the level of Instructor, Assistant, Associate or Full Professor or equivalent. Applicant must also document intent and ability to continue research in the field of basic science of transplantation after the fellowship.
- Basic science is broadly defined as work in transplantation biology ranging from pertinent basic immunology, animal studies or translational research that involves materials from human patients. Basic science on all types of organ, tissue, and cell transplants will be considered. Clinical science including Clinical Trials or Clinical Outcomes Investigations is excluded.
- The fellowship has to be initiated in 2012 and grantees must write a brief report within 3 months of the end of the fellowship. 75% of the funds will be provided at the initiation of the fellowship and 25% when the report is received.
- Applicant must be an active member of TTS or submitted application for membership by the submission deadline. TTS Membership dues must be paid to date by April 1st 2012; otherwise, the applicants will be disqualified and not considered for funding.
- Applicant must attend the TTS 2012 Berlin Congress and the network event organized by the Basic Science Committee of TTS. Applicants not at the network event will be disqualified and not receive the award. (Registration will be reimbursed after the Congress).
- Applications that focus on the adaption of new approaches/concepts from non-transplant laboratories to the transplant setting, and applications that promote the dissemination of cutting-edge approaches/concepts in Transplantation Basic Science to laboratories from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
- Evidence for co-sponsorships from parent institution and/or host laboratories will be favorably considered.
- Deadline is April 1st, 2012.
- A 1000-word application describing the goals of the research fellowship.
- Time line for the research Fellowship
- C.V. of the applicant
- Letter from the Department Chair of the Applicant confirming that the academic position of the Applicant and that he/she will be granted a sabbatical leave of absence for the duration of the Research Exchange Fellowship.
- Letter and a description/profile from the proposed Host Laboratory.
- A detailed budget of the fellowship.
IMPORTANT: No applications or supplementary documents will be accepted after the submission deadline.
When the application is complete, the applicant will receive a confirmation notice via e-mail with a confirmation number. Applicants are advised to print and keep the confirmation notice as proof of the nomination submission.
The Basic Science Sub-Committee will review the applications received by the submission deadline. Nominees will be notified of the outcome by June 1st, 2012. Recipients will be awarded during the Basic Science Network Event during the TTS 2012 Berlin Congress.
- The Research Exchange Fellowship is to facilitate sabbatical opportunities for established researchers in the basic science of transplantation field.
- If budget allows and depending on the number of qualified applications, the number of awards will be as follows:
• 12 months - $ 13,000 USD; (1 award)
• 6 months - $ 7,000 USD; (2 awards)
• 3 months - $ 4,000 USD; (2 awards)
- Funds will be issued to the recipient and host laboratory jointly. There is no "in direct" cost to the recipient institution. Funds are not transferable from one recipient to another.