New transplant centers join the ISN-TTS Sister Transplant Center Program
TTS is pleased to announce the latest list of transplant centers that have been accepted into the ISN-TTS Sister Transplant Center Program. These centers will take part in this program in 2016 following a call for applications in September 2015.
The ISN-TTS Sister Transplant Center Program is a joint partnership set up between TTS and The International Society of Nephrology (ISN) (https://www.tts.org/affiliations/initiatives/isn-tts-sister-transplant-center-program) to create new kidney transplant centers and develop existing kidney transplant programs in emerging countries.
The selected centers that will work together next year are:
- Jawaharhal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences, India and University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire NHS Trust, UK
- Institute of Medicine, Nepal and Monash Medical Centre, Australia
- Kidney Transplant Unit at Southern Philippines Medical Center and University of Barcelona
- Al Najah University Hospital, Palestine and Royal Liverpool University Hospital, UK
- Fundacion Valle del Lili, Colombia and Boston Children's Hospital, USA
This initiative encourages transplant centers to work together to increase opportunities for kidney transplant patients in developing countries. An experienced transplant center in the developed world lends its support to an emerging transplant center to facilitate vital multidisciplinary training and encourage both centers to exchange their knowledge and expertise. The results are beneficial to both sides. Supporting centers get involved in global health, spread ethical and competent transplantation to regions of the world with limited or no current access to transplantation. Emerging centers connect with a multidisciplinary team of international experts in transplantation from a world-leading center.